Podcast with Nolan Watson, President & CEO of Sandstorm Gold
Mines and Money speaks to Nolan Watson, CEO of Sandstorm Gold, ahead of his keynote at Mines and Money London. Discussion covers the growth of the streaming finance sector, the advantages of the streaming model, what Nolan looks for in a potential investment, management strategies that help mitigate risk and investment potential in emerging markets.
- (0.40) The stream financing sector has been getting attention with a string of high-profile deals – in Sandstorm’s case, 9 deals worth over $240 million dollars. This at a time where we’ve seen some miners struggling to raise funds for new projects – why are market conditions right for stream financing?
- (1.53) What’s the advantage of streaming over debt financing or private equity? From both a miners’ and investors’ perspective?
- (4.11) What characteristics do you personally look for when evaluating an investment?
- (4.45) What internal management strategies can improve the appeal of mining companies to investors like yourself?
- (6.07) Sandstorm’s investments are based in the US, Canada, Mexico and Brazil – which other regions could have the right criteria for investment and will you be venturing into any new territories?
- (6.56) You mention West Africa – what particular countries represent opportunities?
- (7.19) David Harquail from Franco-Nevada recently told me that he thinks the metal streaming industry has the potential to be worth $100 billion – how do you see the sector developing over the next few years?